Thursday, November 03, 2005

Rabbit Choir Live on KDVS 2-8-90


Now let’s see... We bought the Chevy and gave up our one bedroom apartment in Oakland and started our tour in May or June of 89. I recall it was quite a party we through when we left. It seems we started a tradition in San Diego of completely trashing the house we lived in when we embarked on an adventure of unknown length. It was a symbolic act of destruction so we could be “reborn”, so to speak, in our new life (O.K. Maybe I’m reading to much into it, but it does seem poetic). I believe the highlight was Tommy stapling butter to the wall – the low point was Stacie getting served papers months latter at a show at the Starry Plough. I still feel bad about your resulting credit rating.

So as I said earlier, after WOW hall we decided to keep going – and did we ever. Show after show up and down the West Coast. Robert Finn kept up busy, playing every coffee shop, bar, festival, college campus, farmer’s market, you name it. These were the days of being completely broke. We survived on Taco Bell, eating what we called the Singer/Songwriter Special, 1 Bean and cheese burrito ($.59) and one tostada ($.59) and split a small soda between the 6 of us. After a show, we would buy Wiedemens Beer ($2.99 a 12 pack at Safeway) and a couple packs of smokes - not Camels of Marlborough, we settled on Viceroys as the cheap brand of choice. After eight months of touring, Jenny Nedrow got us a party in Davis CA, a campus show at UC Davis at noon on the Quad, and this show KDVS. She bought a carton of smokes (Marlborough Lites, the good ones) and kept the fridge filled with beer – we were in heaven. For the next 12 months, we would keep on the road, playing town to town and start recording High Fidelity Hare Cuts without any jobs or homes. Like I say, Rock ‘n Roll is a young man’s sport.


Live at KDVS, UC Davis, CA 2/08/90

Patrick
Where We Are
The Fish
Full of Love
Waiting
Crossfire
Home of the Free
Radio
Tragedy-Where’s the Weed




8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tommy's emotive howl in Patrick at 3:36 (accented by brutal flute riffs over swelling band) is still what Rock and Roll is all about!! Almost drives me to scream "EE-YAW!" and dance like an extatic dervish...

8-)

Anonymous said...

Hey y'all
So, there was this Rabbit Choir song called "FU Am I Rich?" I think. Or maybe it had another name. Is it on this blog anywhere? I was at many of these WOW Hall shows and loved the band. Im still in touch with Betsy of course and occasionally see Jimmy though its been awhile. My band plays the WOW tomorrow night and Ill be thinking of yuz. Fondly,
Casey Neill
casey@caseyneill.org

sb109 said...

I just wanted to say hi - I stumbled on your blog when I was listening to my old Rabbit Choir tape from Berkeley. This is I thing the first one (it starts 'with good friends...') I still listen to it occasionally after 20 years. I actually knew you guys back then from the coops... If you still read this blog, let me know...

sb109 said...

are you guys still checking this blog? I saw Rabbit Choir play a lot when I was an undergrad at UC-Berkeley and I was just converting my old Rabbit Choir cassette to MP3

Anonymous said...

You guys were geeks in the park with a empty tip gar when I first saw you. You two asked: "Do you want to hear 1 more song or 8?" Then you played a medaly and never left us alone. Don't think you remember me, but you should my pals as you all were very close if I recall. A little too close in some cases. Off you went to San Francisco to come back as a cleaned up version of Cock Rock. This would have been, oh, lets say 1988, summer.

Unknown said...

Raz,
Thanks so much for setting up this blog. I have never forgotten my days with you all, especially Doc. I'm now an old married hag with two kids in the burbs (in Napa, so it's not too shitty) but still crank up "Simpler and Kinder" whenever I need a boost and to bring me back to a much simpler time of life. Not sure if you remember me - I lived over in La Mesa, Doc spend quite a few weekends with me during your San Diego (circa 1990/1991) days. I think you all came by once to hang for a while...it's all kind of hazy now. Anyway, if any of you guys are ever in the Napa area, I would love to hear from you! With hippy dippy trippy love, Tracey (Berke)

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I am still listening to the tape I bought at the Portland Saturday Market WAY back in the day.