Saturday, October 08, 2005

Rabbit Choir Fans Everywhere

Hey all you Rabbit Choir fans out there. Come-on, you remember - it was when you were in college. You met the bunch of hippies playing music on the street, selling their tapes and CDs, getting hassled by the man. You bought a tape, gave them a buck when they passed the hat and told your friends you just met a great band that is playing this Thursday (or Friday, or Sat.) at some bar or maybe some coffee house.

The day of the show, you got a call from Doc, the drummer, so you decided you just had to go to the show. When you got there, you found that this hippie street band actually rocked.

Your life was changed forever...

Or maybe you just drank a little too much beer, smoked a little too much weed and ended up inviting the band back to your house.

Hello - I'm Raz, the bass player in Rabbit Choir. I just started to digitize some old tapes that my wife had (she was a fan from the early days) and thought I would post them for anyone who might want to go back to their 'Younger Days". I'll post Rabbit Choir pictures, Rabbit Choir music, Rabbit Choir stories, etc.

If you have any Rabbit Choir stories to share - please post them. If you loved or hated the band, I'd love to hear from you (I know we pissed some people off in our day).

Any way, this is just for fun. I'm having a blast listening to the old tapes and trying to remember details. I know I will get a lot of them wrong - so if you remember it differently, please post a comment.

"How do you like it? Hot and tight!"

Raz Bury
Rabbit Choir
"We're the band that does this!"

7 comments:

Mertseger said...

One more fan reporting in: I written up my memories of the band at my blog.

Thanks for all the wonderful music. I really miss seeing you guys perform.

Anonymous said...

I was a fan in San Diego back in the da; Winstons, the Texas Tea House, as well as some shows in Northern Cal. I loved your shows and was looking for your music for the longest time. I'm very glad that this is posted. Like so many others, kids, jobs and all that have crowded out time to go out and enjoy a great live music by band with a beating heart. You should all know that your music is great and still lives.

Anonymous said...

Howdy folks!

Jeff here from Alaska (previously
Mighty Bushmen) saying "hi" to all the Bunnies and fans. Those were the days!!

Jimmy: been to Nenana lately?

Anonymous said...

We enjoyed Rabbit Choir in the co-ops of Eugene, Oregon. As I recall (more or less) they were a band we invited back over and over for house parties. I found High Fidelity Hare Cuts on tape years later and it brought back a variety of fragmented memories and associations. Good on you.

Walt_S said...

Hey Raz, and the rest. I have such fond memories of y'all from your brief San Diego Days. I still have pics and listen to harecuts to this day. Always wondered what happened to you. If any of you are ever in Austin...

Walt

Anonymous said...

12-28-07
What a blast from the past.
I often searched for Rabbit Choir related entries on the web. I don’t know why all of a sudden Raz’s blog from 2005 came up the other night. I was thrilled to find it. Great work Raz!!! I hope somebody checks this for updates now and then.
I’d love to talk to any or all of you. GrLnAtJunoDotCom. Title the email Rabbit Choir. Our times together left us Full of Love and continue to be a warm fuzzy place in time we both talk about often.

Rabbit Choir came into our life when I befriended a happy go lucky guy at work (Robert Finn) who, though competent, seemed more focused on music than the task at hand. He told me he was going to quit his job to manage a band and I had to come out to see them because they were so cool. He then proceeded to sing and act out all the parts of an acoustic song I think was called Reverend Foster. Everyone around us thought he was a bit off-center. I knew I had to hear this band. We went to see them and the rest is history. The hole in our life where Rabbit Choir used to be is now filled mostly with work, mortgage, parent-teacher conferences, home repair, etc. I try to keep music in the forefront but it’s not as much as I’d like.
Life must go on though. It’s good to hear most of you still have at least some music in your life.
We’ve been together for 23 years now and our daughter is 13. About the same age as Jiminy’s offspring. We’ve been in our house in SD since ’99.

Random memories:
Russ and Tina’s wedding at the Mason’s hall. John Katchur played Bron-y-aur and then you guys rocked the house.

Too many San Diego gigs to count at Winston’s, Belly Up, Bacchanal, Drowsy Maggie's, Megalopolis, the Spirit, Dream Street, Texas Tea House, and a memorable trip to Soquel to see you guys at O.T. Price’s. And many after parties that ranged from the ridiculous to the sublime with sooo many cool, interesting, fun people.

I find it more difficult to roll out of bed after a night of partying and find myself recalling fondly the many times we’d drive down from Escondido to OB to see you play. Then we’d happily attend at least one after party (sometimes 2 or 3) and then drive back home and open the front door just in time to hear the alarm clock telling me it’s time to go to work.

As you may or may not recall, Ln used to collect Rabbit related flyers (about 20), pictures (13), newspaper articles (3), etc. she could find. We have all that if you’d like me to scan it and make it available. I also have the track assignment sheets from some of your now famous Live Oak Studio Sessions as well as a couple drawings Jiminy did when you guys crashed at our house after a show Nov 14, 1992.

Greg & Ln from SD,

Raz Bury said...

Hey everyone and great to hear from you!

Greg and LN, Spinner, Walt - wow we did have some good times.

If you guys come back to the site, please send me anything you can scan to razbury666 at gmail .com

The pics etc will help me remember!

Raz